Thursday, July 9, 2009

Gusto Kong Maging Teacher!

Let me enumerate the happenings of the day first, in KISS way (Keep It Short and Simple).

1. Mr. dela Torre made us repeat the praying of the rosary because there are lots of students outside the room even the rosary is taking place. And we received a lengthy sermon from him.

2. We had a quiz in T.L.E. I got 22 over 30. Nyah, it was still low. I'm not being greedy, I know that score was kinda okay, but I promised myself that I should get high grades this year. T_T

3. I reported in Filipino and Health. I did good in Filipino, I think, for my classmates and Ms. Bulilan said so. Though I'm not quite satisfied with myself in Health. I'll do better next time. :)

4. I forgot Honey's pocketbook on the room we used on Math time. So I went back to get it. Mr. del Rio was still in the room, doing something in the laptop. When I was about to go, he told me that the computer hanged, so I helped him to restart it. Hoho. I just feel kinda proud to help a great teacher. ^^

5. Mrs. Lopena didn't attend our class. I don't know if she's absent or what. But we didn't cared. We're too happy enjoying her absence to think about it. (We're bad, I know. XD)

6. We were asked to make a prayer during the Science time. It was actually a contest, but was held in the classroom. Too bad it's a group activity, again. Pero dinibdib co talaga ang paggawa dun ah. ;)

7. Sinisimulan na acong ulanin ng asar sa mga kaklase cong lalaki! Pero okay lang naman, sanay na aco sa pang-aasar. XD

Hoho. Short happenings of the day. Miracle I didn't elaborate it more. (You know how I love loooong posts.)

---

GUSTO KONG MAGING TEACHER!

You heard it right. Believe it or not, I seriously want to be a teacher. Teacher, as in the person inside the classroom, standing in front of the students and teaching them.

It was my dream since I was a child. As a kid, I often play with my cousins that game. I am the teacher, while they are my students. I always find it amusing. Then I told myself, I would be a real teacher someday.



But I dismissed my childhood dream when I reached my later elementary years. I realized that I wouldn't be rich if I will become a teacher. And I want to be rich someday.

After dismissing my childhood dream, I didn't have any plans for the future. No plans for college, no plans for future career.

Maybe somehow, I'm maturing. Somehow, I'm mentally growing. Because I realized that it's not only the money that makes the world go round. I observe my "great" teachers' passion for their work, envision that it must be very accomplishing seeing your students after years, now successful people, all because of them.

Those kinds of feelings--being in front of the room facing students with different tantrums and personalities, sharing the knowledge you learned that could help them form their future, the bonding between the students and the teachers, being liked by the students and your work being appreciated--I wanted to feel those. And yes, I really do want to be a teacher.

I planned to take a computer or English-related course, but my main choices now are B.A. English and B.A. Linguistics. I could be a Religion or Computer or maybe a Filipino teacher, I think, but I excel more in English. Beside, this is my main interest.

I would be an English teacher. I would be like Mr. Luna, my "idol". Seriously, he is the teacher I wanted to be like. I want to teach the way he teaches, to be as great and as knowledgeable as him, if Heavens allows.

Looking at our "great" teachers--Mr. Luna, Sir del Rio, Ms. Bulilan, Ms. Rasdas, Ms. Rellosa, and the others--it makes me want to be like them. I look at them with such admiration and respect, and they are the persons I look up on. They are the persons I want to be in the future.

I also wanted to be like Mr. dela Vega, the only teacher--and perhaps, the only person--who really, truly believes in the things that I can do. I wanted to touch a student's life like what he did to me, wanted to inspire a youngster and uplift his or her spirit. Though he wasn't that "great" and a pretty much students were annoyed at him during his one-year stay in Liceo, he was different. No adult had ever believed in me the way he did, no teacher admired so much me as a student, and no person had ever made me a poem out of the little note he saw in my notebook. Yes, I'll give back that kindness to my future students.

But of course, I have my own insecurities and worries. What if I won't be as great as the teachers I admire? What if I won't be respected by my students? What if I will be like the teachers whom I am pissed of because they just babble a seemingly alien language in front? And what if won't be a teacher?

As much as possible, I don't want to turn away from the path of being a teacher. I don't want to loose my interest and my dream. And if ever I become one, I don't want to be added to the piles of incapable teachers who teach nonsense things and were despised by students.

So now, I'm already preparing my way and my plans. I'm practicing myself in speaking in front of the class, that's why I told myself to be good in reporting. I'm practicing speaking fluent English without stuttering. I'm studying my grammar, my communication skills, and anything I could do to prepare myself as a good teacher. I'm still not good at those, but I'll try to be.

Yes. I would be a teacher. A good teacher. I would contribute to a student's development. And as much as possible, I definitely want to teach in Liceo de San Pedro, my true home that had given me sanctuary. I could envision it, taste it like reality.

Walking down the corridor, a little woman wearing a teacher's uniform. Her face is exactly like mine, only the childish features were replaced by a mature angle. And I would see the persons who had been my teachers, walking the same corridor as I. I would nod and smile at them, greet them, for they are my co-teachers now. And I would enter a classroom--a Jurassic-like place with standing students and cackling laughter and flying crumpled papers. I would face them, face them with pride and they would be silent with my presence. I would look at them, a sea of young, immature, childish faces with grinning lips, and I would see myself in them--a high school student who was noisy and mischievous but dreams vivid, wonderful dreams, who admires great teachers and wishes to be like them.

My friends would see me, and they will say, "Uy, teacher ka na pala!". Who knows, I could even teach their children, or one of them will be a teacher, just like me.

Yes. This is what I want. Gusto cong maging teacher!!

No comments: